Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Realized something

Today I realized something new. I have told Chris for the past year and a half that some of what we do Annabelle could possibly remember forever. I think my first memory is when I was about 3. And so I've had that thought in the back of my mind for a while now. Yet today I ran into my old babysitter's daughter (who is my age) and we talked for a few minutes in the grocery. When she walked away Annabelle asked who she was. I told her. But then I realized I was about Annabelle's age when I was going to that babysitter. I have very clear memories from there. And while some of them probably happened when I was older, it still dawned on me that not only is she going to have memories from this time in her life, but very clear ones. Not the memory I have of myself at age 3 anymore. The memories I have of myself at age 5. While that seems obvious to say, I haven't been thinking about it that way all this time. It's a bit scary...like I have to shape up and be a real parent or something. She will for sure remember if I mess up now.

Today I had some shopping to do. Since Annabelle was good we stopped in PetSmart to visit the birdies, fishies and small rodenty pets. And since Elsie loves birds, we spent a good bit of time watching them. The amazement on her face is something I had to just tell myself "hold onto this" because it was so beautiful. She started saying "bir bir" And I said over and over Bird, Bird, Bird....a bit like Bambi does. That was her first time saying it. I really need to write down every word she's ever said. I think it could win some kind of a record. There's so many that I'm scared to tell people for fear that they will think I'm making it all up.

Also today Annabelle had dance again. She has it on Tuesdays but since we had so many snow days, today was a make up day. She has asked me several times what a "make up class" is. And I kept telling her I had no idea, thinking she was talking about make-up, make-up. Finally I realized she had heard us say that, and was thinking in her mind that she would be going to class tonight and having someone do her make-up perhaps? I can't help but crack up when I think of how she hears things differently. It's usually sweet and innocent. If only they would stay that way forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment